Tuesday, 11 March 2014

special birthday card

Good evening everyone - today I made a special card for our grand-daughters for her 18th birthday this weekend.

I started the morning off with the great idea of using my new Tonic Pop-up Dies - but that went downhill quite quickly as I could not get a good cut.  I have an E-bosser & put the die through about 6 or 7 times. I was initially using the pop up mechanism for inside the card - but one of the perforation edges actually cut through. So that went to the bin - well not quite - I kept it for using for oddments of card.  The die for creating a topper also didn't work well - so I gave up the idea. In the end I chose one of the Verso Tonic Dies that has the tag shape in the centre.  I had used it at Christmas so new it would cut OK.

Here's the card;


I used just one half of the blue scalloped card - the other half was the piece I spoke about above that almost got binned.  I did use the 18 plaque from the pop up dies & the tag shape was from a set of dies the make of which I cannot remember. Onto the tag I stamped a "happy birthday" & her name in Versamark ink & used a pale blue EP to tie in with the card.  I used double-sided tape to adhere the blue card to the white base card - but the join was a little uneven - so I covered it with white satin ribbon wrapped around to the back.  Looks quite effective.  Some flat backed clear gems at the corners & a couple of flowers with gem centres, made with the Petal Pairs punches out of white paper & some coloured with Promarkers to match the card, to complete.

Next big occasion - a golden wedding card.  But first I must sort that pop up die.  I did Google the problem but didn't really find anything - although I spotted someone saying that Jodie (of Tonic) had some tutorial videos which covered some problems.  I popped in to see what I could find & she has done a video for each of the various embossing / die-cut machines on how to build the sandwich for Tonic dies.  So tomorrow I will try the sandwich & see if it is any better.

That will be after I have printed the insert for the 18th birthday card & placed it inside the card & got it ready to post.

Thank you for stopping by - please call again.

No comments: