Friday, 31 January 2014

faux leather

I made myself a promise I would make some of this faux leather - so yesterday afternoon I set aside the time to do just that.  At the bottom of this post is a link to You Tube where Sheena Douglass has put a tutorial.

Oops - good morning everyone!  I hope the weather is being reasonably kind to you & that you are not caught up in these nasty floods.

I have always thought that Sheena Douglass & her ideas were a little "way out" for me - but it is funny how one thing can change your mind & you say to yourself - "no it isn't - I can do that too". Well watching Sheena on her 4-Day deal on C&C this week has really got my mojo going again. The only thing was I spent so much time watching her demonstrations I forgot to order any of her embossing folders. So I have to hope those I have will work just as well - but as soon as they are back in stock I am getting some.


All set up to start - embossing folder, kraft card, spritzer with water & a touch of glycerin.  I didn't have any good kraft card so I tried this with a cut down manila folder. I think it was probably a little thin - but it seems to have worked ok.


This is the piece of card after it has been treated with the glycerin water, scrunched up & put through the E-bosser inside a folder.  As the E-bosser is electric I had to make sure the card was reasonably damp but not so wet it would leak into the machine.  Worked beautifully. Even though my card was not that thick you can see from the top edge that it has really lost its card feel it is quite pliable.


This is what it looks like after using Distress Inks Vintage Photo & Spiced Marmalade.


A close-up


This is it after using Distress Inks Fired Brick & Black Soot over the earlier inks.  The Black Soot was used mainly to highlight the embossed images more.


Close-up


The finished piece after it has been sprayed with Crafter's Companion's Spray & Shine

I think I would have liked the embossing to be a little more pronounced but this is quite an early folder & they didn't cut them quite so deep then.  Perhaps it might have been deeper if I had run it through the E-bosser a second time?

I don't think I am going to use this piece - I want to hold on to it a bit longer.  But I am definitely doing some more & probably later today.

If you didn't catch the programme on C&C Sheena has produced a video on You Tube which you can find HERE - which obviously explains in more detail than I have in this post.

Thank you for popping in to my little blog I hope you enjoyed your visit - please call again.



1 comment:

Linny said...

This faux leather piece is brilliant. You got it off to a tee. Must try this myself. Linda x