Yesterday I attended another canvas mixed media workshop - I didn't do any stamping on it but we used ink sprays with mica to give that shimmer, & many other things.
Here is how my canvas looked on my arrival at the workshop
We had to send, in advance, a photo we wished to use on the canvas. This is one of me with my step grand-daughter when she was about 6. She is now 38. I cannot believe I have allowed a photo of myself to be used & shown here. The canvas was provided along with the brushes & all the paints & mediums for us to use plus a couple of die cut frames that we might wish to place around our photo. Then throughout the workshop lots of other items were offered that we might like to use. All of us had also taken along things from home to put on our canvas & shared with each other.
I am now starting the process of creating this canvas - the photo has been adhered to the canvas & the larger of the 2 frames placed around it. I have used a mask / template with a diamond pattern along with flexible filler to add pattern & texture.
Wow! now we have reached the stage where we are laying out the elements that we wish to use on the canvas to get a feel of how it will turn out. I rather liked this layout but was worried that after removing everything I would not remember the placement. So! as I had my camera with me for the purpose of recording progress I took this photo, then laid out everything in the right positions beside the canvas. This meant I could refer to it when rebuilding the design. I am not sure it can be clearly seen but there are some pieces of lace placed along 2 of the edges. Once they are painted they become another texture on the canvas.
The flowers were some paper flowers I had bought sometime somewhere, the 2 small blossoms down the left hand side between the paper flowers were made from air drying clay using the blossom cutter that I had used for some flowers for my recent wedding. The small bits & pieces are metal elements that were in a polybag containing them, ribbon, thread, a key (rather rusty & not used - the key used is double layer card die cut), buckle (too heavy - not used), buttons & a string of tiny beads etc. Goodness knows how long I had had them - but finally they have been used.
This is a photo of one of the sides, where I had again used the template & filler to create texture. This shows the side after I have added the brown paint - it is amazing how the filler texture picks up the paint & gives it more interest.
We have now moved on a stage & all the embellishments are back in place. I better say here that when I painted the sides I also brought the colour around on to the top surface just slightly - it wasn't a case of bad painting. Then everything is painted white - now here is where my mind shows its confusion - I think we coloured it with Gesso rather than white acrylic paint.
Here is the final photo showing the finished canvas. I used a mica spray in a sort of fawn/ beige tone. The spray bottle wasn't working too well so sometimes it came out in splats rather than a smooth spray - but I rather liked the effect - so continued in that manner. To finish it I went back in with the dark brown paint & painted the centres of the flowers, the word LOVE & the bead string with a very light touch on the metallic findings. This is going to hang in my craft room & as I already have 3 canvases on the wall (left by the previous owner - which are in shades of brown & cream / beige) it will be absolutely perfect beside them.
I have to hold my hands up - & say completely unashamedly- I am absolutely delighted with the finished item. I will have to take a photograph of it without all that protective newspaper in the background.
Thank you Peerless Designs for a great workshop & the inspiration.
I hope you enjoyed your visit to my little blog & if you have time before you go please leave a comment & don't forget to take a peek at Peerless Designs. Just click on the link in the previous paragraph.