Thursday, 31 May 2012

pan pastels & wedding cake

Oh dear - don't panic!  I don't mean Pan Pastels on a wedding cake.

A few days ago I finally got to have a trial play with the Pan Pastels that I had bought at the Happy Stampers North West Stamp Festival.  They had been sitting on my desk trying to tempt me to open them & play - but I had cards to make that people had asked me to make.  With those now finished & happily living with their owners I had the chance to play.

This play was really to get the feel of them rather than produce a usable piece of work.


I just cut out some squares of white card that had a rather nice smooth finish & used these lovely little pattern stamps.  In each case I stamped them with Versamark ink & then applied the Pan Pastels with one of the Sofft tool.  (Just in case you haven't seen about these tools- that is not a spelling mistake - which is what I thought when I first saw it.  It is their trade name).

The image on the left was coloured with a pale green over which one side I dusted some orange-yellow.  The central image I coloured again with a pale green, then using the more pointed Sofft tool coloured in the petals with the orange-yellow. Then finally just to see what would happen I went around the card & over part of the design with the deep orange-red colour.  (I really must get to grips with the names).  When colouring the petals of the flowers the pointed tool was still a little too big - I think a cotton bud might have been more suitable. The right hand image was just coloured with two shades of green - light first then the darker colour. Then I stamped the sentiment over the top & again used the dark green.  It is surprising how long the Versamark ink remains sticky even when it has been dusted with the pastels, & how even one colour can gradually get darker as more is laid down.


I than decided to get a little more adventurous. I stamped using the daisy style stamp first, once again in Versamark Ink & dusted with the yellow pastel.  Next I stamped the other flower & dusted again with yellow.  Then I stamped the rose spray & dusted it with the deep orange.  Although I used one of the tools I couldn't avoid getting the colour around the image.  A quick gentle polish with a soft tissue removed some of the excess without removing the design.  I had heard that colour could be removed with a white eraser which I tried (you can see a white patch below the left hand leaves of the spray).  Just to complete an image that might make a card topper I stamped the sentiment in black archival ink.  I understand there is a sealing spray that can be purchased but also that hairspray will work as well. 

A most enjoyable play so it is now time to use them properly.

The wedding cake?  Well my followers will know that earlier this year I made my god-daughters wedding cake which had been a bit stressful.  I now have another cake to make for a wedding next year - but this one should move along quite nicely.  The reason being that it is for myself.  My partner Bob & I have been together for a long long time & have decided it was time to tie the knot, giving all our family & friends quite a surprise.

I will be making everything that I can.  The Save The Date cards have been made.  The invitations will be next - there is plenty of time (at the moment - but I know how quick time can go by) - as the wedding is not until next April. So! I thought I would share this information with you & will record on my blog my progress.

I think that is me for now.  Rather a long post today.  
Thank you for popping in & please leave a comment to say you have visited.  Comments are always very much appreciated, especially if you have knowledge of using Pan Pastels that you can pass on. 

'Bye for now. 




2 comments:

CraftyJo said...

Liking the look of those pan pastels but I am not, not, not, going to buy anything else to colour with :) I see that Tracy at Lavinia Stamps is using them a lot at the moment too - she keeps posting samples on FaceBook, they look like fun.

Now, as for all your wedding stuff....time will fly by so starting now is a good plan :)

Sue's Crafty Corner said...

I bought some of these at Ally Pally earlier this year, and I love them. I origanaly bought nine and have added another ten to these, I have to keep playing with them. Love the card you've made and it's nice and flat for the post as well.

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding. Time will fly by and before you know it the big day will be here.

Sue x