Thursday, 27 October 2011

Chance to try a new stamp

Hello everyone ...........................Well instead of getting back to my blog more frequently I have actually not blogged for a whole month.  I think this will become the norm for a while.  I have a blog for my stamp clubs which I write on everyday, so it is a little difficult to find something different to say on this blog.

I haven't entered any blog challenges for a while either - I have to admit to my creativity being a bit sluggish.  But, ..............

Recently I was talking to Wendy & Martin of Card-io who gave me the challenge to use their new Christmas tree stamps.  Along with the trees there is a little set of stamps which are basically Christmas tree baubles in a snowflake design.  There are two trees in the set - one is similar to the tree they already have that looks like paint strokes for the branches.  The other tree has a lovely lean to it & different sized open circles that create the branches.  The little bauble stamps are designed to fit into the circles on the tree &  they even have two minuscule stamps that form the bauble tops & hanging rings.

My first attempts at using the circle design tree do not include the baubles - at least not on the tree - I am still working on those - but I have used them as part of the background decoration.

At the moment I am very much into black & white cards - even Christmas - so this was the path to take for the first card.


On this black & white card I stamped & embossed with white EP & filled the circles with glue & poured on fine glitter.  Because of the black card the glitter reflects some subtle colour.  I used the bauble stamp to create some background pattern using the second generation stamping for some of them.  To those baubles I added some bling by sticking on some tiny clear gems plus one each side of the sentiment. It looks like my white EP may have met it best by date as it looks a bit creamy.

Here is the second card.  Somewhat unusual for Christmas I know.  I recently visited a wholesale company that sells artificial flowers, Christmas trees & decorations.  Several of the trees were decorated in a very modern & colourful way - so I took that idea & went for a more modern approach with this card.


The circles in the tree are coloured with gelly roll pens in a mint green, blue & dark lilac & whilst the ink was still wet I lightly sprinkled some fine glitter on them.  The tree itself was embossed in silver.  I then picked up the colours of the circles with my Promarkers & edged the layering cards. The top one with a yellow to pick up the one yellow circle at the top of the tree.  The next layer used a pale green pen & the final layer a blue that was very close to the blue circles.  I found a card that was almost the same green & stamped with the top section of the tree with Versamark onto the front of the card, to create a background, & left it to dry.  The card needed a little something else so I added the ribbons - one layer of white with a silver edge with a pale green ribbon over it, & tied a faux bow at the top.  I knew that if I stamped the message & embossed it, the powder would definitely find a spot where the Versamark was not dry - so I used a white peel-off.

My photographic skills need some sorting too - as the cards look bowed - but they are straight I promise.

Having made these two quite straight forward cards - I think I can start being a little more creative - perhaps that is what I needed something to kick start me.  Thank you Card-io.

1 comment:

CraftyJo said...

That's a lovely stamp Gloria and I love what you've done with it - esp the b&w one.