Friday, 27 May 2011

Stamptacular Sunday challenge - Bear necessities

Hi everyone
I only possess two bear stamps - two versions of the same stamp - one large & one rather small. So I had to have a sit down & think about what I was going to do if  I wanted to enter this challenge over at Stamptacular Sunday.  I very often use the large bear with a particular technique so that answered part of the question - but what else to do.............. well ................
.............. this is what I did;

I also remembered I had that lovely sentiment from a very old "foam mounted" stamp set

I first pulled out the two bear stamps & just gazed at them, then when I thought about the technique with the large bear it gave me three sizes.  Because I use him a lot with shrink plastic.  So the little yellow bear sitting on the lap of the large bear is him shrunk down.  The little bears that are tumbling out of the toy box are from the small matching stamp.

The stamps are from PSX - & I have had them a long time & used them lots & lots of times.

I stamped & embossed the large bear with Versamark ink & a blue EP I have.  Somewhere along the line some sprinkles of copper EP have got into the pot but I wasn't overly concerned because after it was heated it gave the image a slight multi colour finish. That copper intrusion helped me decide what to do with some of the other colour effects.  I used Promarkers to colour the large bear using Blush first & then a little shading with Oatmeal.  Of course I forgot that the Promarkers would lift the outline a little which meant I have some blue smears in the body of the bear.  Looking at the image "in the flesh" so to speak it quite enhances it.  Then I stamped him again with black archival ink & when the ink was dry I brushed him with a medium yellow chalk.  The colour intensified just the right amount when I shrunk it.  Then I stamped the tiny bear several times in black ink & embossed with clear EP, then coloured with Promarkers in pale shades of blue & pink (forgot to note which ones).  The part I had most trouble with, initially, was the toy box.  I knew that using three squarish shapes you could produce a box type image.  Eventually I thought - go & google "baby blocks  in patchwork" & remind yourself, because I knew there a was a style for quilts.  Voila! it wasn't squares it was diamonds - now I remember!  I then decided the box had to look a little more realistic so cut another diamond & created a lid which is propped slightly open with a sticky pad.  Also I defined the edges of the box with copper peel-off borders. Of course with the lid open one teddy had to be falling out & the others to have succeeded.  With the trial layout on the card I also realised it all needed grounding - so that is what I hope the tape & lace has done - a sort of shelf for the box to sit on.

I think that taking all the things I had to think about, & then carry out, that this card has most taken me more time than any other I have made.  But I loved making it - I hope my idea has worked - to me it has.  I will be interested in comments.

3 comments:

Bron said...

I am glad that you choose this image as your card looks fabulous! Thanks for joining us at Stamptacular this week, hugs from Bron :D

Marianne said...

Oh I love these bears! They are adorable. Sweet soft colors and a beautiful lace.
Thank you so much for joining us at Stamptacular Sunday Challenge this week.
Hugs Marianne

jojoscraps said...

Too cute! I love your bears and how you placed the little ones. Your colors are perfect too. Thanks for sharing with us this week at Stamptacular Sunday Challenges. I hope you'll join us again soon!
Jo xx